Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Thing #11-Library Thing

http://www.librarything.com/ is a website that is designed to help you keep track or catalog your personal library. It doesn't take much time to do it. All you have to do is type in the title or author (or if you are feeling really up to it you can type in the ISBN). Within a few seconds images of the book come up for you to click on and add to your library. You can add tags, comments, and even rate the books. I love the fact that you can choose where the cataloging information comes from. It can be Amazon.com or Library of Congress or from hundreds of other sources. Having just lost hundreds of books due to Hurricane Ike, I can see how wonderful a tool like this could be for insurance purposes. We sometimes tend to undervalue our library collection because we see it every day and purchased the books a few at a time. When you try to replace your personal collection it can be overwhelming. Another interesting aspect of this program is that you can share your library with others and they can see what you have. I am constantly being asked if I have a book about _____ that someone I am collaborating with could use for a lesson. With this all I need to do is look for the subject and search for the appropriate tag and voila I have found the book needed for the lesson.

No comments:

Post a Comment